Traits refer to the attributes or quirks a person has inherited through various means, and the same applies to the sims in the game who have different personalities and behaviors. In the case of Sims 4, the player’s the one that assigns these attributes to their character, and it decides their character’s journey in a way. However, there might be times when you aren’t satisfied with a particular characteristic of your sim and wish to change it; that’s where the Sims 4 remove traits come into play.
This cheat is what would help you get rid of undesirable traits that your sim might inherit, but instead of developing their personality, it goes the opposite way. Let’s learn how to remove such traits.
How to Remove Traits Sims 4
Before we move on to the cheat codes required to remove irrelevant attributes, it’s essential to know how to enable cheats. Follow the steps below –
- Click Ctrl + Shift + C on PC and PS4, and Xbox users can press all four shoulder buttons at once.
- Input “testingcheats true” in the dialog box.
- You’d receive a message saying that the cheats are enabled. You can now enter the cheat codes as per your requirement.
Let’s focus on the most standard cheat that everyone asks for, and that is how to remove or add traits. If you wish to remove a quirk, follow the steps mentioned above, and once the cheats are enabled, type “traits.remove_trait TraitName,” and to add an attribute, enter “traits.equip_trait TraitName” code. If you want a clean slate and start anew, then go for the “traits.clear_traits” cheat, which would remove all the traits of your sim.
There are different categories of characteristics that you can add or remove, and we’ll focus on them in detail.
Categories of Traits and Their Cheat Codes
When you’re going to use the remove trait cheat, you should know the various options available to you and what code you need to enter for this feature to work.
CAS and Bonus Traits
When you want to change your character’s traits in Create A Sim, shift-click on your sim and select the “modify in CAS” option. A menu would appear in front of you with all the qualities that you wish to change the current one with. If you’re not using cheats, some of these options would be locked, but if you do use the shortcut method, you can access those qualities.
- Trait_Alluring – if you select a Love Aspiration
- Trait_Business_Savvy – if you choose a Fortune Aspiration
- Trait_CatLover – part of The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs Expansion
- Trait_ChildofTheOcean – included in Child of the Ocean from The Sims 4 Island Living
- Trait_Collector – those who have a Nature Aspiration
- Trait_CommitmentIssues – it’s the Noncommittal Trait
- Trait_DanceMachine – part of The Sims 4 Get Together Expansion
- Trait_Dastardly – sims with a Deviance Aspiration
- Trait_DogLover – included in The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs Expansion
- Trait_EssenceOfFlavor – if you have a Food Aspiration
- Trait_FamilySim – the characters are Domestic if they select a Family Aspiration
- Trait_Freegan – in the Eco Lifestyle Expansion Pack
- Trait_GreenFiend – part of Eco Lifestyle
- Trait_Gregarious – for those with a Popularity Aspiration
- Trait_High_Metabolism – for choosing an Athletic Aspiration
- Trait_HomeTurf – for going with a Location Aspiration
- Trait_Insane – it’s the Erratic Trait
- Trait_Insider – in The Sims 4 Get Together Expansion
- Trait_IslandAncestors – part of Child of the Islands from The Sims 4 Island Living
- Trait_Maker – Eco Lifestyle
- Trait_Muser – if you have a Creativity Aspiration
- Trait_Paranoid – included in The Sims 4 StrangerVille Game Pack
- Trait_Quick_Learner – for gaining Knowledge Aspiration
- Trait_RecycleDisciple – in the Eco Lifestyle
- Trait_SelfAbsorbed – part of The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
- Trait_Squeamish – in The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat Game Pack
- Trait_Unflirty – included in The Sims 4 City Living Expansion
- Trait_Vegetarian – comes with The Sims 4 City Living Expansion
Reward Store Attributes
Some of the characteristics that you gain through the reward traits can also be removed or added without satisfaction points.
- Trait_BurningMan – HeatProof from Seasons
- Trait_ColdAcclimation – part of The Sims 4 Seasons Expansion Pack
- Trait_GreatStoryteller – in The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat
- Trait_HeatAcclimation – comes with The Sims 4 Seasons
- Trait_IceMan – Iceproof from Seasons
- Trait_IncrediblyFriendly – included in The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat
- Trait_Memorable – even though this Trait is no longer available, it’s still in the game code
- Trait_MorningPerson – it’s the Morning Sim Trait
- Trait_StormChaser – part of The Sims 4 Seasons
- Trait_StovesandGrillsMaster – comes with The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat
- Trait_Waterproof – in The Sims 4 Seasons
Aspiration Reward Characteristics
Whenever your avatar completes an aspiration, they gain a reward trait for it regarding their aspiration. The list below would mention the cheat along with the aspirations.
- Trait_AnglersTranquility – Angling Ace Aspiration
- Trait_Appraiser – The Curator Aspiration
- Trait_Bane – becomes Tormentor from Chief of Mischief Aspiration
- Trait_Chronicler – accomplishes being a Professorial from Renaissance Sim Aspiration
- Trait_ClubPresident – becomes a Natural Leader as part of the Leader of the Pack Aspiration (Get Together Expansion Pack)
- Trait_EpicPoet – acts Poetic from Bestselling Author Aspiration
- Trait_EternalBond – they’re the Companion as in the Soulmate Aspiration
- Trait_Expressionistic – gain Painter Extraordinaire Aspiration
- Trait_FreshChef – achieve Master Chef Aspiration
- Trait_HeroOfStrangerVille – acquire StrangerVille Mystery Aspiration (StrangerVille GP)
- Trait_Hilarious – Joke Star Aspiration
- Trait_InfluentialIndividual – Eco Lifestyle Eco Innovator Reward
- Trait_InTheKnow – City Native Aspiration (City Living EP)
- Trait_Legendary – gains Beloved from Friend of the World Aspiration
- Trait_LivingVicariously – gets Vicarious from Successful Lineage Aspiration
- Trait_Longevity – gains Long Lived through the Bodybuilder Aspiration
- Trait_MasterMaker – gain the Master Maker Aspiration Reward from Eco Lifestyle
- Trait_Mastermind – acquire Public Enemy Aspiration
- Trait_MeltMaster – Grilled Cheese Hidden Aspiration
- Trait_OneWithNature – becomes a Naturalist from Freelance Botanist Aspiration
- Trait_PaMatriarch – becomes Patriarch/Matriarch through Big Happy Family Aspiration
- Trait_PerfectHost – gain the Party Animal Aspiration
- Trait_Piper – achieve Musical Genius Aspiration
- Trait_Player – acquire Serial Romantic Aspiration
- Trait_PotionMaster – Master Mixologist Aspiration
- Trait_RegainedHumanity – Good Vampire Aspiration (Vampires Game Pack)
- Trait_SuperParent_RoleModel – becomes a RoleModel from Super Parent Aspiration (Parenthood Game Pack)
- Trait_Invested – gains Shrewd as part of Fabulously Wealthy Aspiration
- Trait_Survivalist – get Outdoor Enthusiast Aspiration (Outdoor Retreat Game Pack)
- Trait_TheMaster – achieves I am The Master through Vampire Family Aspiration (Vampires GP)
- Trait_TheKnack – gains Handy from Nerd Brain Aspiration
- Trait_ValuedCustomer – acquires Thrifty from Mansion Baron Aspiration
- Trait_TrueMaster – becomes A True Master as in the Master Vampire Aspiration (Vampires GP)
- Trait_UnstoppableFame – achieve World Famous Celebrity Aspiration (Get Famous Expansion)
- Trait_Webmaster – gain Computer Whiz Aspiration
- Trait_WorldRenownedActor – Master Actress Aspiration (Get Famous EP)
Even your child sim has goals, and accomplishing those would help them in their adult life as it unlocks the ability to boost one of their adult skills. For instance, the Social aspiration would help them in telling jokes or to become charismatic, and so on.
- Trait_CreativelyGifted – Artistic Prodigy Children’s Aspiration
- Trait_MentallyGifted – Whiz Kid Children’s Aspiration
- Trait_PhysicallyGifted – Rambunctious Scamp Children’s Aspiration
- Trait_ScoutingAptitude – When they Finish Scouts as Child or Teen (Seasons EP)
- Trait_SociallyGifted – Social Butterfly Children’s Aspiration
Parenthood Character Value Traits
The parent sims in the game would have a character value system according to which they’d be considered good or bad parents. These attributes are only applicable if they are raising a child or teen and ignore or command them. Adult sims don’t have this feature if they aren’t raising another sim.
- Trait_Lifeskills_Unfeeling – Insensitive
Strangerville Infection Characteristics
If you have the Strangerville pack, then you’d have to play the infection storyline, wherein your sim can create a vaccine. Those characters who’ve been infected are prone to mind control. Here are the two cheat codes you can use on other characters.
- traits.equip_trait strangerville_vaccinated – to prevent them from infection
- traits.equip_trait strangerville_infected – to spread infection in them
Career Rewards (Eco Lifestyle)
Those with the Eco Lifestyle pack can gain reward traits once they reach the top of their career. One of the careers is Civic Designer, where you have to choose from the two branches, and at level 10 of those, you’ll get the reward. However, we’re going to rely on shortcuts.
- Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_ChampionOfThePeople- Get the Civil Designer Career Reward
- Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_EcoEngineer – Gain the Green Technician Career Reward
Age Related Attributes
If you want to change your sim’s age from child to a teen, or any other, then use the code –
- traits.equip_trait baby/toddler/child/teen/youngadult/adult/elder
Choose any one age from these, and your avatar’s attributes will change accordingly.
Island Career Reward Traits
To gain the characteristics that come along with the Island Living Conservationist career, you’d have to enter the following codes.
- Trait_FriendOfTheSea – Gain Master of the Sea (Marine Biologist)
- Trait_NaturalSpeaker – Become a Natural Speaker (Environmental Manager)
Through these shortcuts, your character can gain the Master of the Sea award if they’re a Marine Biologist or the Natural Speaker trait as an Environmental Manager.
- traits.equip_trait ChopstickSavvy – Gains mastery in holding chopsticks for required food items.
- traits.equip_trait HomeTurf – Sims would be happier in their neighborhood than outside of it.
- traits.equip_trait InTheKnow – Become a pro at haggling prices at the market.
- traits.equip_trait SpiceHound – Spice, what’s that?
- traits.equip_trait trait_hidden_career_critic_thrifty – Get a 20% rebate on buying art items from household funds.
Get to Work
- traits.equip_trait Sickness – Your character would rarely get sick and would recover quickly, even if they do fall ill.
- traits.equip_trait Trait_Archaeology – Museum feels like home to you, and if you’re on a date, there are more chances of it being successful if you’re inside it. You can also persuade people to donate artifacts to the museum.
- traits.equip_trait Trait_JungleExplorer – It’d become easier for you to locate treasure as compared to others without this attribute.
- traits.equip_trait GreatStoryteller – Your stories would no longer bore others.
- traits.equip_trait IncrediblyFriendly – Connecting with you is easier.
- traits.equip_trait StovesAndGrillsMaster – You can grill as your life depends on it.
- traits.equip_trait Survivalist – Camping is like a second home to you.
- traits.equip_trait Argumentative – You have a short temper and get into arguments.
- traits.equip_trait BadManners – Being ethical doesn’t mean anything to you.
- traits.equip_trait Compassionate – You’re more caring toward others.
- traits.equip_trait EmotionalControl – Emotions don’t matter a lot to your sims.
- traits.equip_trait GoodManners – You can raise good kids because of your manners.
- traits.equip_trait Irresponsible – Most of the sims have this characteristic.
- traits.equip_trait LifeSkills_Responsible – Not a lot of sims acquire this quality.
- traits.equip_trait LifeSkills_Unfeeling – Your sim doesn’t make much of feelings.
- traits.equip_trait Mediator – Sorting things out is your forte.
- traits.equip_trait Uncontrolled – You’re a free person, and allow this freedom to take you anywhere.
- Traits.equip_trait RegainedHumanity – Interacting with these vampires is safe as they are kind.
- Traits.equip_trait TheMaster – Allows avatars to have supernatural control and offspring to succeed.
- Traits.equip_trait TrueMaster – This vampire is the ultimate deal.
Whenever you wish to use this player trait cheat, you can only do so for the qualities that are mentioned in the list above; otherwise, it won’t work. Also, some of the cheats would only function if you have the required DLC, such as City Living, Jungle Adventure, and so on.
How Do You Reset Sims 4 Traits Without Cheats?
If you’re not willing to use a loophole to acquire the qualities you want, then there’s a non-cheat way as well that you can opt for, which is to fulfill your character’s whims and earn satisfaction points. You can then navigate to the Aspiration Reward Store and buy the “Re-traiting Potion.” It costs 5000 points, and as soon as your avatar drinks it, you’ll get the option to change some of its basic quirks. Make sure that the sim whose quirks you wish to change is the one who buys the potion as well; otherwise, it won’t work on them.
Yes, you can change a character’s quirks either by using the re-traiting potion bought by the sim or cheats, as mentioned above.
To remove a child’s qualities, enable the cheats and input “traits.remove_trait TraitName” in the dialog box.
Here, our article comes to an end, and we’ve mentioned all the cheat codes that you’ll ever need during the game to change, remove, or add qualities to your sims. Using cheats is by far the easiest way to do so because the standard way requires you to put in the effort and earn points. So why go the extra mile when you have an alternative, right? Do try out these Sims 4 remove traits cheat, and let it work its wonder on your character.